As a CEO or other senior leader, how do you make sure you spend more time on the strategic topics you know really need to be addressed and not so much time on operational topics?
Today we’re continuing Season 3, focused on High Value-Creating Leadership Teams.
Richard Medcalf and Davina Stanley discuss senior leadership teams getting stuck in operations. We also discuss the 'identity and purpose conversation' - and how to use it to avoid operational topics from swamping your team agenda.
- How leadership teams can slip into focusing on operations more than strategy
- The two aspects of the interface with your team's own reports that need to be addressed, and practical tips for doing so
- Why always focusing on the "urgent and important" issues is a bad sign
- How to spot when you have the wrong structures in place
- A simple trick to quickly get side-conversations out of the main team meeting
"You need to deal with the whirlwind of operations, but you also need to come out of the storm and work on the structural issues. When you do that, everything changes."
Resources & sources mentioned:
More of a video person? No problem.
You can watch this episode and discover more videos on strategy, leadership and purpose over on the Xquadrant YouTube channel.
Beyond the podcast...
Once you've subscribed to the podcast, why not go deeper and subscribe to the Xquadrant Insider?
This is our complementary email newsletter that focuses on multiplying value and impact at the intersection of leadership, strategy and purpose. Originally designed for our private clients, we've made this available to a wider audience of high-achieving and purpose-driven leaders.